Homeowners don’t usually notice it until it’s pointed out by a building inspector. And they don’t call an inspector until they’re getting ready to sell or buy a home. This leads to costly delays.
In 90% of moldy attics, the sheathing (boards or plywood covering the roof framing) will be black (possibly with the infamous ‘black mold‘). If you can see attic mold, removal is necessary.
Eliminate the causes, eliminate the mold.
The major source of mold in attics is improper ventilation:
- Soffits (overhangs) aren’t ventilated or they’re blocked by insulation.
- No gable vents (at the inverted “v” of the roof).
- No ridge vent (going the length of the roof at the top).
- A bathroom’s exhaust venting into the attic. Moisture escaping the bathroom hits the sheathing, and cold air outside creates condensation inside, creating mold-optimal conditions.
The other major cause is water, such as from:
- Leaks in the roof
- Chimneys with improper flashing (material used to prevent leakage).
These issues, coupled with other mold-friendly conditions, creates attic mold problems and must be corrected.
H&H Environmental Provides:
- Free Consultations
- Attic mold inspection and reports
- Mold remediation and removal / abatement
- Mold treatment to prevent future mold and mildew growth
- Written transferable warranties on all jobs